Maslenitsa or Belarusian Mardi Gras
Дата / время
Date(s) – 29/02/2020
ОАО «ТБЗ Дитва»
Minsk ⇒ Ivje ⇒ Lida ⇒ Ditva (Grodno region) ⇒ Minsk
e invite you to an unusual trip!
“Mardi Gras on the narrow gauge” – a joint project of 750mm.by, ethnographic club “Wheel”, chapel “Zhidovochki” and folk collective from Ditva!
Our short travel by the narrow-gauge railway finally will turn to a tourist attraction!
We are waiting spring holidays already, which gave us a charming connection with our ancestors and contains a sacred meaning. The holiday we are going to celebrate is Maslenitsa – almost the same as Mardi Gras, Shrovetide, or Pancake Festival. It is a kind of winter fun and feasting before the season of Lent and fasting. Maslenitsa is the best way to get acquainted with Belarussian Shrovetide customs and enjoy a carnival.
The name of the festival speaks of the superiority of dairy foods in this period. The main meal on Shrovetide – butter, cheese, and of course, pancakes: rye, wheat, buckwheat, butter, with cream, with honey. Many researchers of traditional culture openly say that the pancakes are a symbol of the sun. And that the use of such a symbolic dishes will contribute to the coming of spring. Agricultural season has not started yet and all people want to have some fun on Shrovetide. This week was full of festive ritual activities, games and entertainment.
ut what does this have to do with the narrow gauge railway, you ask? Then we`ll take a look deeper into the sacred world of our ancestors!
During the festival on Saturday and Sunday the youth riding horses decorated with ribbons and bells. Everywhere were heard the songs that praised Pancake. Pancake traveled on horseback for the village. It was believed the further drive off the youth of his village, the longer the flax will grow next year, the better will be hemp.
Hopefully now you understand on which steel horses we offer you a ride? So, on this day, our cozy little train will bring passengers by the narrow-gauge railway to the small Pancake festival which will take place at Peat processing plant “Ditva”!
There you will see some objects of the most diverse narrow-gauge technology, car-video room, where you can see some vintage videos dedicated to the narrow gauge railway. A real railway platform will serve as the stage for our musical band. The main entertainment there – traditional Belarusian rituals meeting of spring, games and master class in folk dances!
So you definitely will have fun, taste some pancakes and herbal tea made in real firewood samovar!
- 8.00 – departure from Minsk;
- transfer by bus Minsk – Ditva (Lida district) with a visit to Ivje and Lida with a guide;
- arrival at Peat processing plant Ditva and narrow gauge railway; safety instructions on the narrow gauge railway, toilet;
- transfer in passenger train from the main railway station to the festival field, clearing 8km from enterprises;
- pancake festive program of ethnographic club “Wheel”; “Dzitva” collective Folk; master class in folk dances from the chapel “Zhidovochki”; acquainted with the exposition of narrow-gauge railway equipment; treats (pancakes, porridge, tea, mulled wine); watching videos in the car-video room;
- train return to the central station railway;
- 18.00 – return to Minsk.
The place of departure of buses:
- Price – 65 BYN.
- Price includes:
- transfer from Minsk and back;
- trip on narrow railway-gauge;
- folk koncert, folk dances, traditional pancakes, etc.
For a booking use.
Phone: +375 (29) 509-19-42
We will be glad to see you!